UHAA RECEPTION WITH PRESIDENT DAVID LASSNER, COSMOS CLUB, WASHINGTON, DC – DECEMBER 07, 2021.
A wonderful reception for President Lassner was held at the Cosmos Club in Washington, DC updating the group on the University of Hawaii’s continuing efforts and future plans.
UHAA-NCRC – SUPPORT OF UH CONGRESSIONAL INTERNS IN WASHINGTON, DC, FALL SESSION, 2021.
UH Congressional Interns spend time with the UHAA-NCRC members during their Fall 2021 session.
EVENING WITH PRESIDENT DAVID LASSNER, HONG KONG SEAFOOD RESTAURANT, FALLS CHURCH, VA, June 10, 2019.
A pay-as-you go dinner was held on June 10 with President Lassner updating the group on continuing efforts and future plans at the University.
KING KAMEHAMEHA LEI-DRAPING EVENT, EMANCIPATION HALL, THE CAPITOL, June 9, 2019.
As in past years, UHAA-NCRC represented UH at the lei-draping ceremonies for both Saint Damien de Veuster and King Kamehameha I. Alumni attending the event joined UHAA-NCRC members in the presentations. President Lassner led the delegation and were joined by Congressional alumni, such as Senator Hirono, and OHA members.
LEI-MAKING EFFORT, U. S. BOTANIC GARDEN, WASHINGTON, DC, June 8, 2019.
Ten to eleven foot Leis were made to presented to the statues of King Kamehameha and Saint Damien de Veuster the day after. This was also an opportunity to demonstrate Hawaiian lei-making techniques to the public at the U. S. Botanic Garden.
NEW STUDENT/NEWCOMER’S WELCOME, August. 4, 2018.
A welcoming party was held at the home of Byron and Tawndra Shorter for incoming UH students and their families. In attendance were members from the UH Office of Admissions.
2017 and 2018 UHAA-NCRC Board of Governors Meetings
Reception for President David Lassner, Dungarat’s Thai Restaurant, Falls Church, VA, February 26, 2018
Lei-Making and Lei Presentation, Washington, DC, June 9-10, 2018 (U. S. Botanic Garden and Emancipation Hall, National Capitol)
Welcoming Party for Incoming UH Students and their Families and Participation in Recruitment College Fairs, August-November 2018
ONO BREWERY CO., CHANTILLY, VA CELEBRATION, September 29, 2018.
UHAA-NCRC participated in this first-year celebration of a new business, Ono Brewery, and used the opportunity to advertise UHAA and its programs, as well as receive donations for its scholarship. Lei-making demonstrations, using ribbon, yarn, paper and kukui nuts, as examples, were held with public participation. Members also provided some of the live entertainment in a spirit of Hawaiian camaraderie.
PARTICIPATION IN THE UH-ARMY FOOTBALL GAME, September 14-15, 2018.
UHAA-NCRC members provided free live entertainment at the UH-Army Football Pre-Game at West Pont NY. UHAA worked together with UHAA-NCRC and assisted with the costs of the bus rental. This was a great example of how local chapters could work together with UHAA. Game ticket packages were provided by West Point.
Other Area Activities in which UHAA-NCRC Members Have Participated
2016-03-20 – UH Basketball March Madness
2016-02-06 – UHAA NCRC Board Meeting
2014-12-04 – Lassner Reception
* Support for UH interns spending a semester in the Hawai`i Congressional offices and at the Smithsonian Institution. Support includes providing items from a “lending closet” consisting of linen (bedsheets, towels, pillows, comforters) and kitchen appliances. Students are welcomed to DC on their arrival, invited to participate in Hawai`i-associated events and assisted and wished a “bon voyage” on their departure.
* Participation in regularly scheduled activities of the Hawai`i State Society of Washington, DC, to include DC Cherry Blossom Festival events; the annual Kamehameha Lei-Draping Event in Emancipation Hall (Visitor’s Center of the Capitol); and various other gatherings and celebrations through the year.
* UHAA-NCRC represents the University of Hawai`i at the Kamehameha Lei-Draping Event by having members make a 11-12 ft. lei at the U.S. Botanic Garden at least a day prior to the Lei-Draping event. A second lei is also made to adorn the statue of Saint Damien de Veuster in Statuary Hall. All UH graduates and current and former students of the UH System are invited to join UHAA-NCRC members in the lei-draping.
* Participation in area High School College Fairs in the area with personnel from the UH Office of Admissions. UH student interns also participate in such events, sharing their personal experiences with potential students.
* Participation in special receptions involving the University of Hawai`i schools and colleges and courtesy visits to the offices of Hawai`i’s Congressional representatives.